Sustainable cities make a difference
To thrive in the desert, communities here have always found ways to innovate and be resilient. The SRP Sustainable Cities Program recognizes Arizona cities that exemplify these traits and continue to push their sustainability efforts forward.
SRP Sustainable Cities are key in the continued economic development of the Valley of the Sun. Businesses and site selectors seek out communities that aren't just looking toward the future but are actively planning for it.
Along with environmental benefits, SRP Sustainable Cities gain numerous growth advantages:
- Attract Talent – Future workforces want to work and live in places that implement active sustainability measures.
- Increase Consumer Demand – Customers expect, and will pay more for, goods that have been produced with sustainable practices.
- Boost Profits – Sustainability measures can actually reduce operating costs.
- Secure Investors – Investors increasingly take a company’s environmental practices into account before investing.
As an SRP Sustainable City, benefits may include:
- Receiving guidance in messaging your city’s sustainable assets and opportunities
- Increasing competitiveness for new talent, investments and jobs
- Improving overall quality of life and health for residents
- Serving as an example for other municipalities or organizations pursuing sustainable practices
- Sharing marketing opportunities around sustainability and resiliency practices in Greater Phoenix
- Connecting SRP sustainability resources to your goals and objectives
- Using the SRP Sustainable City seal
How are SRP Sustainable Cities selected?
The chart below shows the designation process and criteria for the program. The review, assessment and scoring are led by Boyette Strategic Advisors, a third-party, economic development consultancy, that developed the program alongside SRP Economic Development.